Child playing with sparkler sparked fire in Pennsylvania building, investigators say
YORK, Pa. (WGAL) – An abandoned garage caught fire Thursday night after investigators said a child was playing with a sparkler.
Three houses and two garages were damaged by the fire, investigators said.
“It was just a sparkler. That’s it. It was just a sparkler that she threw in there, ”said Brittany Duncan.
Duncan, along with eight to ten other people, including children, were displaced.
“I didn’t even want to look inside because it’s heartbreaking to see everything you’ve worked for, all the sentimental stuff you’ve lost, like my kids’ baby stuff,” he said. she declared.
Neighbors had previously complained about the garage, claiming it was full of trash.
“If the garage had been taken down years ago, it wouldn’t have happened,” Duncan said.
York Fire Chief William Sleeger is still worried about more fireworks-related fires. There were 13 of them in town over the July 4th weekend of last year.
It is illegal to shoot fireworks in the city.
“We’ve had several injuries where people handling fireworks have gone off in the hand and things of that nature,” Sleeger said.
The fire caused damage estimated at $ 250,000.
Two firefighters were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
The fire is still under investigation.
Copyright 2021 WGAL via CNN Newsource. All rights reserved.